Dr. David A. Fagan
Veterinary Dental Consultant - San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park
With an undergraduate degree in Chemistry, Dr. Fagan began his scientific career as Research Chemical Engineer with NASA on the Apollo Lunar Exploration Project. Later he attended Dental School at the University of the Pacific in San Francisco, and received his Doctorate Degree in Dentistry. He has maintained a part time clinical practice involving the multi-specialty dental care of humans in a Dental Group Practice ever since.
His association with Veterinary Dentistry began with a cantankerous Camel in 1970 at the Sacramento Zoo, while working with the large animal surgery staff at the University of California - Davis, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital. Subsequently he has been involved with the treatment of a wide variety of animals - both large and small, companion and exotic - in fact everything from Aardvark to Zebra - including guard dogs, house cats, a variety of horses; and in size everything from the little Cotton-Topped Marmoset to a 15,000 pound Bull Elephant.
Dr. Fagan has been ... consultant / clinician / researcher ... to numerous zoos, private practice veterinarians, and private or off-exhibit animal collections. He has traveled, published and lectured extensively; has been staff consultant to the world famous San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park since 1974; and since 1981 has been the Executive Director of The Colyer Institute - a center for the study of oral disease and nutrition in exotic animals (see web site @ www.colyerinstitute.org ). Dr. Fagan is an Associate member of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians ..... and will share with us some of his experiences and thoughts concerning :
- The Preventative Veterinary Dental Care of Elephants -
MASTER - PUBLICATION LIST
- 1973 EQUINE DENTAL RECOMMENDATIONS, Stud Managers Handbook. Vol.9, pgs 109-114
- 1978 VETERINARY DENTISTRY IN THE ZOO: NEW INSIGHTS, San Diego Zoo’s "Zoonooz " pub, January issue, with P.T.Robinson, D.V.M.
- 1978 ENDODONTIC SURGERY FOR TREATMENT OF A FISTULATED MOLAR ABSCESS IN AN ORANGUTAN, Journal of the AAZV, Vol 173, with P.T.Robinson, D.V.M.
- 1979 SURGICAL REMOVAL OF IMPACTED MOLAR TEETH IN AN ORANGUTAN, Journal of the American Vet. Med. Assoc., Nov. 1, 175(9) :1000-1, with P.T.Robinson, D.V.M., and J.P.Roffinella, DDS.
- 1979 DENTAL EQUIPMENT & INSTRUMENTATION AND ITS RELATIONSHIP TO VETERINARY DENTAL CARE, Proceedings of the AAZV. Oct. - Denver, Colorado
- 1979 A DISCUSSION OF ENDODONTIC TECHNIQUES IN CARNIVORES, Proceedings of the AAZV Oct. - Denver, Colorado
- 1979 GINGIVAL HYPERPLASIA INDUCED BY DIPHENYLHYDANTOIN IN A GORILLA, Journal of AVMA, Vol.175, No.9, pgs 960-961, Co-authored with J.E.Oosterhuis, D.V.M.
- 1980 DIET CONSISTENCY AND PERIODONTAL DISEASE IN EXOTIC CARNIVORES, Proceedings of the AAZV - Washington D.C. and Proceedings of the 1st Annual Dr. SCHOLL NUTRITION CONFERENCE - A Conference on the Nutrition of Captive Wild Animals, Dec. 5th & 6th @ Lincoln Park Zoological Gardens, Chicago, Ill. ( with Q & A’s )
- 1980 THE PATHOGENESIS OF DENTAL DISEASE IN CARNIVORES, The Proceedings of the AAZV - Washington D.C.
- 1981 ORAL DISEASE IN AVIAN SPECIES, Proceedings of AAZV - Seattle, Washington
- 1981 SIALOLITHIASIS IN A COLOBUS MONKEY, Journal of the AVMA Vol. 179., with P.K.Ensley, D.V.M., and Tim Reichard, D.V.M.
- 1981 EXTRACTION OF ELEPHANT’S TOOTH REQUIRES 4-HOUR PROCEDURE, Norden News 56(3):36-37
- 1982 FOCAL PALATINE EROSION ASSOCIATED WITH DENTAL MALOCCLUSION IN CAPTIVE CHEETAHS, Journal of Zoo Biology,1:295-310, with H.M. Fitch.
- 1983 VETERINARY DENTISTRY: PRESERVING EXOTIC ANIMALS THROUGH CLINICAL CARE, RESEARCH, EDUCATION AND TEAMWORK, Journal of the American Dental Students Association, "Dentistry 83", Oct.
- 1986 A DOUBLE REPOSITION FLAP TECHNIQUE FOR THE REPAIR OF RECURRENT ORONASAL FISTULAS IN DOGS, J. of Am Hosp Assoc., 22 (6). pgs 803-808, with: G.W.Ellison,D.V.M. , T.W.Mulligan, D.V.M., and R.K.Tugend, D.V.M.
- 1986 DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT PLANNING, Veterinary Clinics of North America, Small Animal Practice, Sep, 16(5):pgs 785-99
- 1998 A 25 Year REVIEW OF THE EXPANDING FIELD OF EXOTIC ANIMAL ORAL HEALTH CARE-VETERINARY DENTISTRY , with J.E.Oosterhuis, and J.E.Kirkman, Journal of VETERINARY DENTISTRY, Vol. 15 No.3 September 1998: pgs 117-128 - with Expanded Information on Web Site - (http://www.vet.upenn.edu/jvd)
- 1998 USE OF CT-IMAGING & 3-D COLOR RECONSTRUCTION FOR COMPARISON OF
CRANIAL DENSITY IN CAPTIVE & WILD CHEETAHS (Acinonyn jubatus) - with J.E.
Oosterhuis,D.V.M., C.V.Fiorello,MS.,G.F.Daleo, & H.Fitch-Snyder ( in Progress )
- 1999 SIGNIFICANT DENTAL DISEASE IN ELEPHANTS, with J.E.Oosterhuis, and A. Roocroft, Proceedings of the 39th International Symposium on Diseases of Zoo and Wild Animals, May, 1999, Vienna, Austria
- 1999 UNDERSTANDING PATHOLOGIC EQUINE DENTAL RESORPTION ASSOCIATED WITH TRAUMA, with K.May,DVM, and J.H.S.Simon,DDS, Proceedings of the VETERINARY DENTAL FORUM, November, 1999 - Baltimore, Maryland ( in Progress)
- 1999 A DENTAL EXTRACTION SITE MANAGEMENT PROTOCOL UTILIZING A SYNTHETIC BONE GRAFT PARTICULATE TECHNIQUE, with J.E.Oosterhuis,DVM., Proceedings of the Am. Assoc. Zoo Vets., Oct. 1999 Columbus, Ohio.
( Presented to the Veterinarians )
- 1999 ELEPHANT DENTAL PULP TISSUE: WHERE ARE THE NERVES ?? with J.H.S. Simon,DDS, K.Benirschke,MD, & A.Roocroft, - Journal of Veterinary Dentistry - Vol. 16 No. 4 December, 1999
- 2000 ORAL DISEASE AND ITS IMPACT UPON SYSTEMIC HEALTH in Spite of the Diet Consumed, with M.S.Edwards,Ph.D., and J.E.Oosterhuis,D.V.M. - Proceedings of the Comparative Nutrition Society Biennial Symposium 2000, Aug. - Asilomar Conference Center, Pacific Grove, California
- 2000 FOCAL PALATINE EROSION - A HISTORICAL REVIEW and THE IMPLICATIONS OF CURRANT RESEARCH, Proceedings of the FELID Taxon Advisory Group (TAG) & S.S.P. Meeting - Riverbanks Zoo, Columbia, South Carolina; May
- 2001 INFLUENCE OF DIET CONSISTENCY ON PERIODONTAL DISEASE IN CAPTIVE CARNIVORES with M.S. Edwards, Ph.D., Proceedings of The 6th International Small Felid Workshop - San Juan, Costa Rica, - May, 2001
- 2001 GEFANGENSCHAFTSKRANKHEITEN - CAPTIVITY DISORDERS IN ELEPHANTS - Impacted Molars and Broken Tusks, with J.E. Oosterhuis, DVM, and A. Roocroft, DER ZOOLOGISCHE GARTEN, 71 (2001) 5, S. 281-303
- 2001 THE RELATIONSHIP OF ORAL DISEASE TO THE SYSTEMIC HEALTH OF FELIDS - Proceedings of the 1st Wild Cats Technical Meeting and Workshop - Centro Brasileiro para Conservacao de Felinos Neotropicals - Sao Paulo, Brazil, Nov., 2001
- 2002 LOW DOSE DOXYCYCLINE TREATMENT TO CONTROL PERIODONTAL DISEASE IN MULTIPLE PRIMATE SPECIES - A PRELIMINARY REPORT with E.Bicknese - Proceedings of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians - Oct. 2002 Dental Symposium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2002 A DENTAL EXTRACTION SITE MANAGEMENT PROTOCOL UTILIZING A SYNTHETIC BONE GRAFT PARTICULATE TECHNIQUE, with J.E.Oosterhuis,DVM., Proceedings of the Am. Assoc. Zoo Vets., Oct. 2002 Dental Symposium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
( Presented to the Dental Consultants working with the Zoo Veterinarians )
- 2002 LUMPY JAW - ANOTHER PRESPECTIVE with J.E.Oosterhuis,DVM., Proceedings of the Am. Assoc. Zoo Vets., Oct. 2002 Dental Symposium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- 2003 LUMPY JAW in Exotic Hoof Stock – A HISTOPATHOLOCICAL ANALYSIS with J.E.Oosterhuis,DVM., and Kurt Benirschke, M.D. ( in Process )