Summary of qualifications
May 2000 - Present WWF-Malaysia
Project Manager (AREAS), Borneo Programme
=> Asian Rhino and Elephant Action Strategy (AREAS) – a conservation program on elephants and rhinos that is being implemented in Sabah (North Borneo), Malaysia.
2002-2006 Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Malaysia.
Ph.D Candidate (Biology Conservation Programme)
(In Progress- Writing up (Large Mammal) Elephant Habitat Assessment & Modeling in Central Forest of Sabah)
1999 - 2000 Universiti Putra Malaysia, Malaysia
Master in Environmental Management (GIS in Impact Assessment)
=> First Division
1995 - 1997 Universiti Of East London, England
B.Sc (Hons) in Surveying & Mapping Science
=> Second Upper Division
Oct 2000 – Human and Elephant Conflict Management – India
Nov 2002 – Rhino Protection Unit Training & Management – Bogor, Jakarta, Indonesia.
March 2003 – Forest Canopy Density Technical Management – Jakarta (organized by JOFCA)
Oct 2004 – Elephant Management - Satellite Tracking Training in Kenya, Africa
Area of Interest - GIS development, Remote Sensing Application Techniques and Spatial Modeling especially for Forest Management and Habitat Modeling including real-time tracking using Global Positioning System software.
PUBLICATIONS, PAPERS AND REPORTS
Master Thesis: Application of GIS and Remote Sensing in Environmental Management and Impact Assessment in Sabah
Bachelor Thesis: The Impact of Land Development Policies on the Natives in Sabah.
Forest and Wilddife Monitoring and Management using Mapping Techniques
· P. Fernando, T.N.C. Vidya, J. Payne, M. Stuewe, G. Davison, R.J.Alfred, P. Andau, E. Bosi, A. Kilbourn and D.J. Melnick (October 2003). DNA Analysis Indicates That Asian Elephants Are Native To Borneo And Are Therefore A High Priority For Conservation, PLOS Biology, Public Library of Science, Volume 1, Issue 1.
· Alfred R.J. (2002) “Summary Report on the Status & Distribution of Asian Elephant in Sabah – based previous AREAS Surveys and SWD Reports”. WWF Malaysia”.
· Alfred R.J. (June 2002) “Report on Elephant, Rhinoceros and Orang Utan Survey in the Interior Forest of Sabah (Kuamut FR, Ulu Segama and Malua FR, Northen of Sapulut FR, Ulu Sungai Napagon FR area, Tangkulp FR and Pinangah FR”. WWF Malaysia”.
· Alfred R.J. (April 2002) “Report On Aerial Survey On The Tabin Wildlife Reserve To Assess Potential Illegal Logging Area”.
· H.M. Ibrahim, F.M. Yusoff, T. Noro, S. Sugiyama and Alfred R.J. (April 1999) “An Integrated and Multi-disciplinary Research and Development Centre for the Straits of Malacca.” International
Geographical Information System Application Related Issues
· Kenjie H, Alfred R.J. and Sion K (2003) “Manual for GIS and Remote Sensing Development for Crocker Range National Park” BBEC Programme
· Alfred R.J. Alfred R. Barukang L. (2002) “Design and Implementation of Local Wildlife Tracking System based on Artificial Intelligent (AI) and Geographical Information System (GIS).” – The International Conference On Artificial Intelligence in Engineering & Technology, 17-18 June 2002, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
· J.A. Raymond (April 2001) “Geographical Information System as a Tool for Land use and Wildlife Management in the Lower Kinabatangan Wildlife Sanctuary.” 3-Days workshop of the Lower Kinabatangan Management Plan Theme: Towards Quality Conservation Programmes for the LKWS. Forest Research Centre, Sepilok, Sandakan.
· H.M. Ibrahim, Alfred R.J. & Shattri Mansor (March 1999) “Remote Sensing and GIS Applications in Fish Forecasting in South East China Sea”. Second Malaysian Remote Sensing & GIS Conference. 16-18 March, University Technology MARA, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.
Remote Sensing Application Related Issues
· Raymond J. Alfred, Perpertua G. George, Ricky Alisky Martin, Diana Anthony, and Rosila Anthony (July 2003) “ Landscape Assessment and Modeling of Deramakot Forest Reserve”.
· Raymond J. Alfred* & Rosila Anthony (July 2003) “Satellite Imaging of Forest Canopies in Deramakot Forest Reserve, Sabah, Malaysia”.
· Raymond J. Alfred & Diana Anthony (Oct 2003) “Assessment and Modeling of Elephant Habitat in the Central Forest Of Sabah. “International Symposium and Exhibition on Geoinformation 2003. , 13th & 14th October, 2003, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia.
NRIC NO : 710125-12-5621/H O765600
PASSPORT NO : H 10630245
NATIONALITY : MALAYSIAN
DATE OF BIRTH : 25 JANUARY 1971
AGE : 34
STATUS : Married
TEL : 019-811-8211